[pct-l] World news on the trail

In 1974 I hiked the High Sierra Trail. My parents
planned to pick me up at the end of the trail and we
would take a two-week car vacation. However, the
telephone company was on the verge of a major strike,
and if the strike happened, our vacation would be
canceled as my mom was with the company.

As I approached Bearpaw Meadow I asked some hikers if
they had news of the strike. They said no, but that
the president resigned. I thought the situation at the
phone company must be really bad for their president
to resign. I had completely forgotten about Watergate.

The world becomes much smaller and more intimate when
you're hiking its trails.

AsABat