[pct-l] Ray Jardine vs. Mad Monte

 What does Monte and Ray both have in common?? We both carry an 8 lb pack!!!
( Only mine is a totally empty Old Lowe Expedition that is strong enough to
pack out a dead hiker if you could shove em in!!! ) The pack will still be
around when I'm in the ground. Alot can be said about " reserve strength " of
gear and boots.  I do believe my old Lowe " which weighes slightly less than
a carbonfiber Mountain bike " will outlast any golight pack around. I like
Greg's theory on boots and tires and must agree totally with his view. The
leather " Warhorse " boots of yesteryear had a certain cush when walking and
did a super job of edging into frozen morning snow. A good leather job is
equal to a good leather saddle, bike or horse, which when broken in fits like
a glove. New ultralight type boots are "Cute" for limited use, but offer
zippo protection in snow or 104 degree desert heat. Even many Jardinite "
Wantabe's " suffered in their boots as bad as the  " Throwbacks" of the 70's.
The grocery store theory again comes into play as people come into the PCT in
good shape, but feet are still ill prepared. I know my advice will be
treasured by all and will instantly change hikers minds. Ha Ha Ha!!!!    Mad
Monte rides again!!!