RE: [pct-l] Ray Jardine vs. Mad Monte

I have never thru-hiked the PCT, which makes me no expert on what shoes it takes to do it.  However, in 1998 I did hike from Lake Tahoe to Mt. Whitney.  The first half, I used a bomb-proof pack and big leather hiking boots.  Along the way, I met some thru-hikers with something like 14 lb packs that convinced my to try the Jardinian approach.  So, in Yosemite, I swapped packes and shoes, and unloaded a ton from my pack.  I got my pack down to 16 lb with no food or water.  I would finish my journey in regular Asics running shoes.

I have to say that the lighter pack totally rocks!!  I used an Osprey Aether that weighs 1 lb 9 oz. and has no frame.  The running shoes killed my feet for the first few days, but after about 5 days, they got used to them.  I have to agree with Monte on the snow, though.  I would definitely prefer some boots on the snow.  I almost slipped many times going over passes with lots of snow on them.

The nest time I do a long hike, I will probably use a light boot and will definitely use the lighter pack.  In my opinion, Jardine is right about one thing:  When you cut the wieght dramatically, you can go much further in a day... at least I did.

If anyone finds this useful, I will be surprised.  But I thought I would throw it out there.

peace,
Dude in TX