[pct-l] blisters

Hi all,

I also believe nearly everyone gets blisters for at least a few days when
they start the PCT.  I know I did in '97.   Here's a quote from day 4 of my
'97 journal, as I was finally getting over the worst of it.  Reference
http://www.accesscom.com/~kkbunya/pct/index.html

"My feet felt much better today. I think my feet and I have come to an
understanding. I promise to tread as carefully as I can, and take extra good
care of them, and they will stop whining about going home to take a nice
long hot bath. Good foot care for me means taking off the boots and drying
out the socks at every rest stop (about once an hour). I also watch where
and how I step, keep the socks clean, and carefully drain any blisters which
do develop anyway."
By the end of the first month, my feet were bullet-proof.  After the hike
was over it took several months for the calluses to erode.
In preparation for long hikes since then, I've tried to develop calluses
BEFORE day 1.  What works for me is high mileage running and walking
barefoot.  A 20-25 mile run affects my feet much like a similar length hike
with a light pack, but takes less time.  Even this doesn't toughen the
bottoms of my feet like walking barefoot on concrete does.  I slowly build
up to where I can walk a mile without discomfort.  With this preparation I
was able to join my father in the middle of his '99 PCT hike when he was
already doing regular 20 mile days.  I had no blisters at all in the running
shoes I started in or the light hiking boots to which I switched because of
snow conditions.
Brian