[ft-l] FT Hikes & Dogs

Just looking for some opinions.  On two recent FT sponsored hikes I led
people have shown up with their dogs.  Neither person who showed up with a
dog had asked me whether they could bring the dog; I don't even know if they
called in advance or not.

Our chapter has an informal policy of not allowing dogs on group outings.
Although I hiked (alone) with my dog when I still had one, I really am
opposed to dogs on group hikes.  Although your odds of seeing wildlife are
greatly diminished (probably to very low odds) when you hike in a group, it
seems to me that hiking with a dog even further lowers those odds.
Additionally, although everyone claims that their dog is the essence of
kindness, I feel I'm assuming extra responsibility because of the possiblity
of the dog biting someone. (One of the dogs who showed up snapped at me when
I knelt by the open car window to discuss the matter with the folks in the
front seat.)   In both cases, I tried to be warm and apologetic but told the
people it was our policy not to allow dogs on group hikes.  In both cases,
this news was NOT well received.

What do other chapters do?  Is there an FT state policy about dogs on hikes?
I welcome all opinions, facts, and random thoughts.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com