[ft-l] Atn: Gear junkies

I just did the AT through the Shenandoahs this month on my vacation. In
Harpers Ferry at the start of the trip I found a new pack that worked
wonderfully for the 100 miles or so.  It's by Equinox and is called the
Pound Plus Pack.  It is the most comfortable lightweight pack I have ever
worn, so I thought some of you might like to check it out.  And at the $99 I
paid for mine, it sure beats out all those Gregory's and Dana's for price,
too.

Without the hip belt they rate it as 20 oz.  With the very comfortable
"deluxe" hip belt mine weighs in at 28 oz. There is no frame for the pack, I
folded my deflated thermarest into fourths and placed it inside the pack
against my back.  A Z-Rest works very well too.  It has nice shoulder straps
with load lifters, 2 small zipper pockets on the upper sides for things like
first aid kit, wallet, car keys and flashlight.  It has two mesh drawstring
pockets on the lower sides for water bottles that you can actually store and
retrieve things from without taking your pack off or asking a friend for
help.  I use a hydration system, so I used these pockets for maps, snacks,
camera, etc.

The pack itself is made from heavy-duty mesh with rs nylon reinforcement, so
if you're one of those would throws their pack around a lot it may not be
right for you.  But it is very sturdy for what it is made of and with a bit
of care it works well.  I carried around 25 lbs for the entire trip, so
can't give a real recommendation for heavier loads.  But I don't think I
would consider it if your typical load runs 35 lbs or more.  There is no lid
and with the mesh you need a pack cover or interior liner.  I used the
Equinox sil-nylon pack cover on it.  For a day of slack-packing, I was able
to cinch up the pack, hang the hydration system from the top loop and
carried rain jacket and lunch inside the pack very comfortably.

Equinox is becoming known for their tarps, bivys, stuff sacks, etc. but this
is their first pack and it is a winner.  They have a website at
http://www.equinoxltd.com, but it's still under construction.  It does list
their phone number however.  http://www.backcountrygear.com/ sells most of
their stuff, including the pack, tarp and bivy.  Go to the above link and
enter Equinox in the search box.

Cricket