Re: [ft-l] A wander through Cassia

I sent you an email yesterday with an update on the Cassia section, but
apparently you hadn't read it before you wrote this.  The hunt club which
owns the property along the Tracy Canal (between pt 4 and 5 on the FTA map)
posted No Trespassing signs over the summer.  When Bill checked it out
(after you mentioned it to me and I mentioned it to him), turns out that
they are having trouble with poaching on their land, so they have closed it
to all but hunt club members.  The blazes and signs you are referring to are
Bill Taylor's and Pete Yaciw's hurried attempt to get hikers through the
section without violating any property rights.  Blazes will be updated as
the chapter gets going again after the summer hiatus.

Down in the Royal Trails area many of the landowners are having trouble with
ATV's and trail motorcycles using the FT.  Several of them have asked us to
remove the trail from their property to keep these vehicles from using the
trail as a thoroughfare during all hours of the day and night.  Others have
piled up brush along the trail to discourage the vehicles, but still allow
hikers to get through.  I'm not positive this acounts for all the brush
piles you saw, but it's one explanation.

The airstrip was put in, I believe, when Royal Trails was built with the
idea that people could fly their private planes in and out of the
development.  The developers also used it to fly in prospective investors
and buyers.  When Royal Trails went in receivership other people found out
about the abandoned airstrip and there was a good bit of drug smuggling
going on out there for a while.  One of our chapter members who lives out
there could tell you some good stories.

In fact, much of the area south SR 44 and north of the river came into state
hands when authorities confiscated it after some big drug busts in the area.
Y'know, we really need a nice strip of land between 44 and the Boy Scout
reservation.  Any one know any drug smugglers who might like to buy the
property and then get busted?  :-)  :-}  :-0

Cricket