[ft-l] A wander through Cassia

Rich (Solar Bear) and I got it into our heads to section-hike Central
Florida, so we're out on the trail when we can fit in it. Just wrapped up the
northern part of the Cassia section yesterday. It was a perfect day for
hiking, despite the on and off showers...unusually cool for August, with a
wonderful cool breeze that kept the flying pests down. We encountered
white-tail deer four different times during the day, and walked by several
enormous sandhill cranes. From a distance (since they were in a pasture), I
thought they were ostriches! The usual cows as well, with a stunning longhorn
thrown in the mix for fun. And LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of spiders. Walk softly
and carry a big stick this time of year.

A few comments about trail conditions. We were sorry to see extreme ATV
damage to the trail between Clearwater Lake and SR 42. Obviously no one pays
attention to the USFS signs that say "Foot Traffic Only." The trail segment
past Camp La-No-Chee is beautiful, but tough to follow blazes (southbound) in
places. One highlight, just south of the camp, is a massive slough popular
with waterfowl. Another sandhill crane, various herons (white, green, night,
blue) and coots made their appearance there. There's a wonderful stretch of
baby live oak forest before you hit Maggie Jones Road.

The relo onto Maggie Jones Road was VERY confusing. Walking southbound,
you're confronted with a scratched-out double blaze with writing that says
"STAY ON ROAD." But you don't see another blaze until well after you walk by
the Dreamweaver Ranch. Particularly annoying is the fact that northbounders
have no such warning that they should stay on the road, so we feel we missed
a nice stretch of trail along Tracy Creek to walk into the hot sun. So, can
someone tell us (since there are NO blazes in this stretch) if this is an
official FT relocation, or if an angry landowner scratched out the double
blaze?

Following the trail southbound through Royal Trails can be a serious
challenge, due to the blazing *AND* the fact that someone (again, angry
landowners?) seems to like to pile brush to obscure the trail at crucial
junctures. We lost the trail a couple of times and had to double back. And
does anyone know WHY there is a massive grassy airstrip hiding in the woods
at Royal Trails? Since no roads (just gated sand paths) lead to it, it made
me plenty nervous to hear a plane pass overhead.

There are some beautiful sloughs and swampy prairies hidden in this section,
with plenty of opportunities to scout for unusual plants and waterfowl. I
particularly enjoyed the series of sinkhole ponds and lakes. Much of the
trail here is a long green tunnel through thickets. Beautiful!

Finally, the roadwalk on SR 44 to Seminole State Forest. It's a roadwalk.
Trucks go waaayyy too fast. What else can I say? :)

{{{{ BIG HUGS }}}} to the trail maintainers from Halifax-St. Johns who seemed
to be just hours ahead of us at the southern end of Royal Trails, as it was
wonderful to plunge into the woods and not get yet another legful of briar
scratches! :)

Cheers, Sandy (Navigator)