[cdt-l] CDT with horse ?

Hi Joanne,
  I've hiked the section from Wofl Creek Pass to Monarch Pass in Colorado.  I also have a horse, so I'm always evaluating the trail in terms of rideability.  There are sections that were extremely narrow and slippery due to gravel on the trail where a false step would mean a very long fall down a very steep slope.  I was glad I was on my own two feet in those places.  Especially in the Weminuche you are above treeline much of the way, so there is nothing to tie a horse to.  You could go off trail to go down to tree level, hobble the horse if you think it would stick around, or carry one of those really light electric fences.  The fence would give you the most flexibility and maybe soften the horse's impact on the terrain.

Another consideration would be snow.  The Weminuche is often still quite snowpacked until very late June, depending on the year.  I have heard from others on this list that they need crampons and ice axes to get through at that time of year.    You might want to consider a later start.

Keep me informed of what you find out!  I'd be interested to hear how your trip goes.

Lee Clark
New Mexico