[CDT-L] Cuba

<< I don't disagree with your points.  Unfortunately, land and water rights
 in New Mexico are more complex than in any other state I've ever lived
 in....  To understand land and water rights in New Mexico, you need to
 study the regional history of Mexico and the US and how the tensions
 over these unresolved rights continue to this day.

I visited New Mexico a couple years ago and fell in love with it.  I believe
that it's in the state's best interest to work a little harder to establish a
route for the CDT through New Mexico.

The allocation of scarce water is an issue in California as well.  (See, for
example, "Cadillac Desert" a PBS documentary (partly) about Los Angeles' use
of water from the Owens Valley.)  The Rio Colorado flows into Mexico are also
an international concern.  My question is, how can we put together a real
CDT?  Answer:  Only by compromise with all parties concerned.  Problem:  All
parties -- State & Federal governments, Ranchers, Native Americans, Joe
Citizen, all have higher priorities to worry about.

<< In regards to Native American historical sites, you have to study and
 respect access to them from a Native American perspective.  Although I'm
 not sure which sites you are referring to, I do know that many Native
 American sites in New Mexico are not merely considered historical from a
 Native American point of view.  Rather they are revered as sacred.

My point exactly.  During my visit to NM, I saw many of the tourist
attractions, including some Native American historic sites.  I saw signs
reminding me that some areas were "off limits", except to tribal members.
Some places which I did visit had informational signs explaining their sacred
status.  I'm quite sure that other such areas will always remain unknown to
outsiders.  What I got during my visit was an education about such things.  A
CDT which, by agreement, crosses these lands could provide an educational
opportunity for hikers, increasing their awareness of, and respect for, these
cultural traditions.

<< In spite of differences between Hispanics, Anglos and Native Americans,
 I also add that the residents of New Mexico were when I arrived some of
 most welcoming, open, and friendly people I have met anywhere. And
 although I wasn't born there, when I go back to live there permanently,
 I will feel as if I have returned home. -- Marilyn, CDT section hiker.

I, too, fell in love with the place -- and the people (and the food!)