[CDT-L] Cuba

> I visited New Mexico a couple years ago and fell in love with it.  I believe
> that it's in the state's best interest to work a little harder to establish a
> route for the CDT through New Mexico.

Again, I completely agree with you here.

> The allocation of scarce water is an issue in California as well.  (See, for
> example, "Cadillac Desert" a PBS documentary (partly) about Los Angeles' use
> of water from the Owens Valley.)

I currently live in California and have for the past five years.  I have
watched the entire PBS series "Cadillac Desert," which is based on a
book by Marc Reisner, which I own.  And I repeat you have to study the
regional New Mexico history to understand the problems there with land
and water rights.  It's not simply a matter of scarcity of water.  It's
a matter of unresolved problems concerning Hispanic land grants and
water rights.

> During my visit to NM, I saw many of the tourist
> attractions, including some Native American historic sites.  I saw signs
> reminding me that some areas were "off limits", except to tribal members.
> Some places which I did visit had informational signs explaining their sacred
> status.  I'm quite sure that other such areas will always remain unknown to
> outsiders.  What I got during my visit was an education about such things.  A
> CDT which, by agreement, crosses these lands could provide an educational
> opportunity for hikers, increasing their awareness of, and respect for, these
> cultural traditions.

Granted, but I think you missed my point.  Would you welcome tourists
into your church's sanctuary or to your grandparents' crypt?

Marilyn
CDT section hiker