[CDT-L] [cdt-] stoves

I've heard that Zzips will burn wet wood in pouring rain. I'll admit that my
imagination doesn't stretch far enough to be able to see how anything would
have burned in the weather we were in -- We had to hold our plastic bags with
crackers in them up to our mouths and gulp the crackers before they
disintegrated from the rain!!! Even under old growth trees! I know that you
can keep dry tinder on hand, and I know how and where to look for dryish wood
in tree stumps and under logs, and I know kinds of wood that burn well when
wet. AND I'm good at starting fires.  I just think that in those
circumstances, having to mess with a "fire" would have been the straw that
broke this backpacker's back! I've seen Zzips used in fair weather. I can
easily see how they work well in the desert -- there's tons of combustible
stuff around because nothing ever rots. (In dry alpine country, I made a cook
fire out of cow dung once in a bad-stove-day situation) But I wish that
during that wet stretch, I would have been hiking with people using Zzips so
I could see it firsthand.

I guess the bottom line is, you do what you're comfortable with, and if you
have the skills, you make it work -- or not, in which case, you eat cold
food. Not the end of the world.
Karen