Re: [CDT-L] [cdt-] stoves

I know a guy who frequently burned cow dung. Afterall there's plenty of it
out there.

Karen, agreed on the zzip in prolonged wet weather. Of course it's possible
to start a fire, but I was always eating long before my companions.

For the past few years I've used a Svea 123R without any trouble. I started
the AT with a MSR whisper lite and grew weary of the daily clogging and
cleaning. Since Atkins VA (around 10,000 miles of backpacking) I've been
using the Svea and have done absolutely nothing to it except burn white gas.
At low to moderate elevations I've found I can go about 600 miles on 11
ounces of fuel. Also, it's the only stove I've seen (except for the canister
stoves) that does simmer. One more thing, the published weight is not
correct. Ounce for ounce the Svea is far lighter than the MSR models. If
you're looking for a stove that won't break (only one working part) and has
excellent fuel economy the Svea is definitely an answer.

If anybody is interested in the Svea do get somebody who's familiar with the
stove to show you how to use it. From what I recall the instructions are
either non-existent or lame. I've seen at least one person new to the Svea
get into trouble with fire while attempting to use it. Not that it's
dangerous, it just requires a little finesse.