Re: [CDT-L] Politics and the list

>From: Earl Needham <KD5XB@amsat.org>
>To: cdt-l@backcountry.net
>Subject: [CDT-L] Politics and the list
>Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:18:04 -0700
>

>         I agree that political candidates can affect every part of our
>lives, how the Trail is managed over the years, and possibly even who is
>allowed to hike the trail.  That's not my objection.  I pushed HARD for
>CDT-L (some people say "founded") because I wanted to know more about the
>TRAIL.  Originally we started this list on my own PC, using email filters
>to forward messages out to the list.  Through the graciousness of Milt
>Webb, and later Ryan Brooks, the list was moved to a Majordomo-type
>server.  The political discussions don't tell me anything about where to
>find water between Cuba and Grants, for instance.

Earl, if you want to know about water between Cuba and Grants all you have
to do is ask. There are enough people on the forum now that can and will
answer your questions.

>         I'm not sure I care to be called a fascist anywhere, ESPECIALLY on
>CDT-L.  And although you say you respect my opinions, there's certainly no
>respect implied in that name.  I have, so far, not told anybody what they
>can or cannot talk about.
I HAVE tried to steer the group away from
>political discussions.  I don't think that's fascism.  And I seriously
>doubt you'd call someone a fascist if they tried to prohibit discussions
>of, say, Southern Gospel singing or the merits of Morse code on CDT-L.  I'd
>appreciate your thinking this over before calling names on the list again.

Earl, correct me if I'm wrong, but you said that politics (vague and
general) have no place on the list. We're talking about real issues that
could affect the future of the trail and public lands, not Southern Gospel
singing and Morse Code. Therefore, how can you say they have no place? There
have been no wars and I think most of us on the list are adults and can
refrain from the "mudslinging" I've heard about on other lists. Above all we
need to communicate!

>         The last thing I would ever want is to give people the impression
>that this is MY list, and if you disagree with me, I'll kick you off the
>list.  I don't work that way, and I never have.  This list is for ANYBODY
>interested in the CDT.
>
>         However, I would hope that, as "list administrator", my words
>about political discussion would be given some credence.
>
>         According to the welcome message sent when someone subscribes to
>the list,
>
>>Heated arguments and name calling should not be engaged in on the
>>list.  Please take these things to private email.

Agreed, but there's been no heated agruments or name calling. If so I think
it's certainly your position and right to steer that from the list. Though
lets be real, this isn't a court of law and sometimes I wonder if we suffer
from too many rules and regulations.