[CDT-L] Politics and the list

At 08:46 PM 2/25/00 -0700, Michael Bleakley wrote:
>Hi Kelly and Earl,
>
>Well I absolutely disagree.
><snip>

         I agree that political candidates can affect every part of our
lives, how the Trail is managed over the years, and possibly even who is
allowed to hike the trail.  That's not my objection.  I pushed HARD for
CDT-L (some people say "founded") because I wanted to know more about the
TRAIL.  Originally we started this list on my own PC, using email filters
to forward messages out to the list.  Through the graciousness of Milt
Webb, and later Ryan Brooks, the list was moved to a Majordomo-type
server.  The political discussions don't tell me anything about where to
find water between Cuba and Grants, for instance.

         I hate "politics" with a passion!  "Politics" can have otherwise
friendly people ready to kill each other in a minute.  I don't like that,
and I don't think that has any place on CDT-L.

At 08:19 PM 2/25/00 -0800, Roger Carpenter sent:
>Earl, I respect your opinions, even if I disagree with them.  But telling
>people what they CANNOT talk about is worse than politics.  It's fascism!

         I'm not sure I care to be called a fascist anywhere, ESPECIALLY on
CDT-L.  And although you say you respect my opinions, there's certainly no
respect implied in that name.  I have, so far, not told anybody what they
can or cannot talk about.  I HAVE tried to steer the group away from
political discussions.  I don't think that's fascism.  And I seriously
doubt you'd call someone a fascist if they tried to prohibit discussions
of, say, Southern Gospel singing or the merits of Morse code on CDT-L.  I'd
appreciate your thinking this over before calling names on the list again.

         The last thing I would ever want is to give people the impression
that this is MY list, and if you disagree with me, I'll kick you off the
list.  I don't work that way, and I never have.  This list is for ANYBODY
interested in the CDT.

         However, I would hope that, as "list administrator", my words
about political discussion would be given some credence.

         According to the welcome message sent when someone subscribes to
the list,

>Heated arguments and name calling should not be engaged in on the
>list.  Please take these things to private email.

         I don't see a political discussion going anywhere EXCEPT into a
heated debate that CDT-L doesn't need.  I hope this can end NOW.

         Thanks all,
         Earl

Interested in the Continental Divide Trail Mailing List ?

Contact KD5XB@AMSAT.ORG for more information.