Re: [CDT-L] CDT: Universal Permit

>I hate permits - but having seen what overuse can do to prime hiking
>areas, I understand why they are needed in some places.   That's why I
>usually choose to go where they aren't required - both to avoid the
>bureaucracy and to avoid the crowds. But I think that in future there
>will be very few places that will be truly open anymore.
>
>Ginny

Agreed! I have a friend who avoids all NP's like the plague. Notably there
are inherent dangers in all parks including Grizzly bears in GNP and YNP.
However, let's be fair to the bears, afterall the NPS created the bear
problem through their public feedings. Simply, bears associate humans with
food because of these public feedings that were conducted to draw crowds,
bussiness if you will, to the dwindling NP's.

Certainly I don't mind tighter management in higher impact areas, but I'm
not sure coralling hikers is the answer. Plus, I don't think it's fair that
hikers pay more to camp in some NP's than people in motorized vehicles. Lets
talk about impact for a minute. Ummm- gee a few back packers or one RV. RV's
require countless gallons of fuel,  roads, hookups, and waste stations. Self
sufficient hikers really require nothing (meant to read no amenities), not
even a trail if you get down to it.

While I'm on the topic of bears let's review something. Have you ever seen a
highschool in Kansas or the plains and their mascott is a grizzly?
Previously grizzlies roamed the plains, but have been driven into the
isolation of remote mountain ranges. It's an animal that's suffered the
impact of settlement, because no settlers wanted them around. Further,
ranchers, namely the US fish and game controll (it has another name) began a
serious erradication program to eliminate any and all predators of
livestock, grizzly, coyote, etc. In fact under the auspices of the US Govt.
countless poisons and traps were introduced to implement the erradication
program. For more information regarding this topic check out Ghost Grizzlies
- a good read about the possibility of Grizzlies in the South San Juans of
CO.

Even with the bear problem in Yosemite the PCTA successfully operates the
universal permit. I think when it comes down to it, this is about money, not
management. I don't need the NPS to protect me with their rules, afterall
they started the problem that's become the monster. Now numerous bears are
destroyed in the name of public safety. What's lacking here is the fact and
understanding of reality: nothing is safe or perfect. However some people
want it that way. A perfect world doesn't exist and can never exist. Though
look around, I hear people are taking out insurance on their vacations. If
it rains you get your money back. I suppose since the american way of life
leaves few people with more than a week of vacation, it - as well as
everything else is expected to be perfect. There's simply no room or marigin
for error in their eyes, especially when mother nature is concerned.

As for me, I've come to accept the world as is and will continue to pursue
nature on her own terms - rain or shine, grizzly or no grizzly.