Re: [CDT-L] CDT: Universal Permit

I'd also add that there the NPS should be considering the numbers of people
involved here. Less than 20 thru-hikers a year can't possibly be enough to
destory a permit system that is touted as a national model! Or could it be
that the model ain't so good?  A temporary experimental plan (isn't that what
they called the parking/fee/permits in the national forests?) could be
implemented with the understanding that if the numbers of thru-hikers and
other long-distnace hikers arriving on foot grew unmanageable, the plan would
be adapted to deal with it.

Small sites for walk-in hikers could simply be tucked away somewhere near the
other sites, and only used by long distance hikers arriving on foot. I'd
prefer the universal permit, but if you had to call ahead (say, from Togwotee
or Mack's Inn or East Glacier to let them know you were coming) I'd be okay
with that.

By the way, as some of you know from Where the Waters Divide, this is a big
issue for me. I just want to tell you that what I wrote in the book re: the
permit problems at Glacier was only about 25  percent of what actually
happened!!! The publisher wouldn't let me write a chapter called "Why
Glacier's Permit System Sucks!" The details made the whole story even more
ridiculous, convoluted, and time-consuming than is recounted! Whiteroot told
me that the rangers at Glacier are going around telling people that
thru-hikers are problems, and as an example, Dan and I broke the rules. The
truth is that all of our problems stemmed from trying to FOLLOW the rules. I
guess it's easier for them to deal with our criticism by trying to discredit
us than by looking at the very real flaws in their "wonderful" permit
process.

Karen