Re: [at-l] a beginers running question?

First, I would also want to know about your age, weight, and general
health. History of injuries and arthritis would assist. Your recent history
of physical fitness and exercise would be helpful. I wonder if the pain in
the stomach area is actually due to hepatic loss of glycogen storage or
relative increase in lactic acid. The pain in your legs may be simply lack
of conditioning, but could also represent serious problems with poor
vascular supply to your legs. The exhaustion after a few laps may be poor
conditioning, or could be that pesky heart attack you were hoping to avoid.
(I'm giving you minor versus catastrophic complications).

If you are out of shape, it is a grand idea to first assure that you are
healthy enough to begin training. It is a grand idea to get assistance from
a trainer or PT regarding how to train up. Consistency, and building up
your stamina is the key, in most situations. Running is not always the best
cross-training exercise for hiking, or other sports.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA