Re: [at-l] a beginers running question?

I use running and bicycling to keep my general fitness level high. Whether
or not running is the best way to get in shape for the trail is a subject
of much debate. I think that walking up and down stairs with increasing
amounts of weight on your back is similar to what you'll encounter when
walking the trail, well maybe not that severe, but you do have to walk up
and down hills and mountains with weight on your back.

Running is great for general aerobic and leg conditioning but it is a
fairly specific about what you're training. That's why I cycle - to cross
train other areas - and give the joints a break. If your aerobic capacity
needs improvement running will get you there fast if you don't overdo it.
If you're hurting after running try a simpler approach and walk/run. Walk
10 minutes to warm up then jog/run 10 minutes. Repeat this for 30 - 40
minutes. Adjust the times based on your abilities.

IMPORTANT: Warm up first. Nothing will hurt you quicker than stressing
cold tendons/ligaments/muscles.

As far as the difference between running/jogging, I feel that once your
time to go a mile drops below 10 minutes you're running.

-Uncle Milt

"In the name of the Bee, and of the Butterfly, and of the Breeze, Amen" -
    --Emily Dickenson