[at-l] running

I wholeheartedly concur that running is now necessarily going to get you in
shape for hiking, but it certainly doesn't (or shouldn't) hurt.  Adrian gave
some good advice.  I'll add my 2 cents worth from my own experience (I've
completed two marathons and have hiked 452 miles of the AT in two section
hikes.)

My own definition of "jogging" is that you are going one bounce faster than
a walk.  Speed is not the issue.  For me, anything faster than a 9 minute
mile pace is running, not jogging.

Be consistent.  If you will keep up the discipline of doing it every day you
will develop a good habit which will usually get good results.

The hardest part of a five mile jog is the first 50 feet (from your door to
the street).  Don't worry about how far you go if you can just get started.
Your condition and mileage will improve if you stay with it.

Don't hurt yourself.  Plan at least one day off each week as a part of your
schedule.

Find a partner to run with.  It will increase the training effect in ways I
don't understand.