RE: [at-l] a beginers running question?

It's true, running won't fully prepare you for hiking.  I'd been running
for years before the first time I went hiking and those first 10 miles
about killed me.  So you only get better at hiking by hiking.  However,
the benefits of running should be looked at apart from hiking.  You'll
lose weight, build aerobic capacity (which will come in handy on the
trail), and feel better.  And what you're experiencing as a beginner are
normal symptoms.  If you're serious about strengthening your legs and
furthering your distance, you should start off running what you can (a
quarter or half mile), then slightly increasing the distance each
subsequent week.  So the first week run a half mile 3-4 times, then the
following week run three-quarters of mile, and so on.  At this rate
you'll be up to two miles in two months; five miles in five months.
Sure, the incremental increases won't come easy; you'll have to push
yourself.  Consistency is also extremely important; you can't run one
week, take a week off, and then expect to increase by the planned
increment.

If you're interested in beginner's programs, check the Runner's World
web site.  They have lot's of hand information for beginners.

Take Care,

Adrian