[at-l] Day Hike Journal Entry

     Today(Saturday), was an incredibly beautiful day here in Chattanooga,
and I had a small little dayhike.  This is my journal entry from the day.
I'm posting this for everyone who is somewhere where it is either very rainy
outside and can't get out, or for those who, like me, haven't been able to
find the time lately to have a day without worries.  You can experience the
hike through me ::grin::.  Happy hiking to everyone.

~Spatula

     The day was incredible, I had to go outside.  Too late for my usual
expeditions to mountains out of my town, I decided to hit a trail I hadn't
ventured on in awhile, conveniently located ten minutes from my home, the
Cumberland Trail.  It has been a long time since I've actually done any
distance on the trail, and was very surprised at the changes.  A lot of work
has been done to improve the dangerous crossings.  I started at the Signal
Point trailhead and began the immediate steep descent.  The views were more
awe-inspiring than I had remembered and the waterfall that is usually a mere
rumble could be heard roaring in the distance.  When I reached the bluff that
looked across the small valley the waterfall was finally in sight, and a
beautiful sight it was.  The heavy rains of the past week had transformed a
normally tranquil falls to a powerful force.  Pausing a moment to rest at the
magnificent overlook, I watched the birds soaring below me.  I remembered all
the times I had been in my car and viewed the birds from my window, wishing I
could be that free of life's problems, and now, here I was, higher than even
the birds.  I continued my hike across some terrain rockier than I recalled,
and paused several times to watch the water from the rains flowing over the
rocky sections of the trail.  I soon came to the bottom of the trail, Rainbow
Lake, which was also flowing much faster than regularly.  I found a large
flat rock in the middle of the creek to eat my lunch, and I then laid back on
the cool surface, surrounded on all sides by the power of water, and tried to
forget all the daily frustrations, annoyances, and large problems which had
been plaguing me more than my fair share lately.  Gazing skyward, I watched
the white tufts of clouds passing slowly, and finally escaped the
difficulties of living.  I was where I was meant to be, and I had discovered
the peace that being alone on the trail provides me with.  I thought about
all the people who scoff at the "treehuggers" or who cannot begin to imagine
why on earth anyone would want to spend their day hot, sweaty, and tired,
walking through the wilderness.  The answer is so simple to you and I.  It's
the feeling we get when we gaze across a bluff at a roaring waterfall in the
distance, knowing that within hours we will be feeling its cool mist on our
faces.  It's the inspiration one gets from being able to gaze downward and
see the birds soaring beneath them.  It's being able to forget all of the
troubles we encounter in society while eating a lunch in the middle of a
surging creek.  After my break, I headed across the creek via a new swinging
bridge(of which I am terrified), and up I went again, this time towards
Edwards Point.  I paused several times to admire the freshly bloomed flowers
and many birds in the area.  I was able to see two lizards, a turtle(very
cute), a rabbit, and several turkey buzzards, as well as songbirds.  I ran
across a man and his two children who had a friend who had thru hiked in
1993.  It was a great conversation.  Didn't catch the friend's trail name and
slapped myself for it when I got back on the trail.  About three hours after
I had begun, I turned around, due to time constraints, and headed back up,
wishing there was some kind of loop available.  It hadn't been a day of
distance hiking, but it was very enjoyable to take my time and amble through
the woods of my childhood, chat with fellow nature lovers, and take a day off
just for myself.  When I reached the trailhead again, I turned around for one
last look across the Tennessee River to Missionary Ridge.  I wasn't sure when
I would be back to this small trail, but I knew that the peace that I had
gained from the day would last me long enough.  I returned to my car,
chuckling silently at the people who mock the sport of hiking.  I wondered
silently where they manage to find their peace.