[at-l] ADA

				5/8/99
Some thoughts about ADA and the AT:
	Let's suppose that the trail were made smooth enough for a
wheelchair.  And let's suppose it was not made ADA ramp grade, but
remained as steep as it is.  Then I believe it would take at least two
people working full out to get a loaded wheeelchair up most 4000 foot
peaks.  Because the safety of the disabled person is important there
would be need of at least one more person to provide a belay both going
up and going down.  Two people would be needed, if the belay is to be
moved in a leap-frog fashion, which is probably necessary to maintain a
reasonable pace.  And belay points would be needed about every 150 feet
or at each change in direction.    Now suppose this was to be an
overnight (in order to reach the next road crossing), there would be a
need for about four bearers to bring along the gear for the disabled
person, the belayers and the haulers, for that overnight.  Because of the
size of the party (we're up to 9) the gear would have to include tents.
I think the nature of the experience would depart from what you and I
have, but it is doable.  All we need is a lot of volunteers and suitable
ground for tenting.  All those volunteers would have to work harder than
they do during the ususal  walk on the Trail.
	Shall we consider winter conditions?
	On the other hand, I can picture the walk along the Housatonic
River in Connecticut, and some of the park walks in other states.  These
could even accommodate a wheelchair with suitable wheels, and propelled
by the rider. Having seen TV footage of the wheelchair athletes competing
in the Boston Marathon,  I think that if it were me I'd prefer the speed
that is possible on pavement such as is found on the bicycle path in
Franconia Notch.  Other parks have paved walks or roads that do not have
traffic, or on which traffic is sometimes excluded.  Some mountains, such
as Mt. Graylock and Mt. Wachusett, have roads to the summit, which could
be made available to wheelchair riders during special hours or on special
days.  And there is the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.   I
think we need some engineering of safety brakes!
	What do the wheelchair riders want?  Do those who are able want
to do the work it takes to get up a mountain, or do they want to be
hauled?  Do those who are unable want to be hauled at the expense of
others?  Are there any listers who are disabled or who can speak for the
disabled?

				Old Swampy