Re: [at-l] Pack size in cubic inches

DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:

> I realize that this is probably a personal preference only, but I'd like to
> get an idea of what is the average cubic inches of packs carried by thru
> hikers, for internal and external.  I have seen widely varying statements
> about what is ideal or normal - from 2000 cu to 6000 cu  - so I am a little
> confused on this.  When mom and I are looking in sales catalogs from places
> like LLBean, Campmor, etc - we don't know how to judge if the pack is the
> right size, or close to it.  I'll probably figure this one out when we stop by
> Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro next weekend - but I guess I'd like to
> know now :)  (patience is not one of my more endearing qualities)  I know my
> pack is perfect for me - but I bought it 6 years ago, don't have the
> documentation that came with it, JanSport doesn't carry it anymore, so I don't
> have a clue how big it is in cubic inches :(  Any help here from the thru
> hikers?  What size pack did YOU carry? <g>
>
> The Redhead

It depends on pack philosophy, in part.  If you want to go light (and I
definitely recommend it) then you will want a smaller pack.  An
ultralight pack would be less than 3000 ci. My current internal pack is
about 4000 ci and I carry 20-25 lbs dry (no food or water) weight,
depending on the season. Not an ultralight, but comfortable for me.  Of
course, I can share gear.  If you are solo hiking you might want to go a
little larger - but not a lot. If you want to carry luxuries like camp
chairs and extra clothes, then you will need a bigger pack. Best idea is
to take with you to the store your basic gear and see if it fits.  By
the way, you really don't want to carry what I carried on the trail. I
made the mistake of assuming that since I was going to be gone for a
long time, I needed the biggest baddest expedition pack I could find -
it was ENORMOUS.  A big red monster - I was the pack with legs.
Somewhere around 7000 ci I think.  Even on my second trip I carried too
big and heavy a pack.  Right now we are looking at packs that weigh
around 5 lbs. If you have a big pack - you will fill it. And you really
don't want to do that - not if you plan to go the distance.

Ginny