Re: [at-l] Pack size in cubic inches

Hello DaRedhead,

Thank goodness you used a new subject header, otherwise your message
(below) probably would have been deleted without being read. (I now find
myself deleting more than half of the at-l postings without reading
beyond the subject header.)

I can offer the following thoughts for your consideration on choosing a
pack.

1.  If you go with an external frame pack, it will generally be
appropriate to use a smaller pack size capacity than for an internal
frame pack, since you will probably be carrying tent, poles, ground
sheet, sleep pad, and sleeping bag strapped to the frame/pack on the
outside of the pack when carrying a full load of food and gear for a
weeklong hike.  Of course some internal packs still allow you to add
external pockets, so you may also take that into account.

2.  In figuring the actual size of the pack capacity, you should probably
consider first what you want to carry and for how long.  I know you are
planning an AT thru hike, but in general you would want to consider how
long between resupply, whether you have to accommodate extra clothing,
food, gear for winter, or less gear if the pack is  just intended for
summer.  If you buy too big a pack, you will be spending extra dollars
for the pack, and carrying extra weight.  A  bigger pack generally means
more weight of the actual pack (and its possibly beefier suspension
system), plus a bigger pack means more tendency to fill it with something
that you might otherwise leave out, compared to using a smaller pack
instead.

3.  BEFORE buying a pack, ask yourself for what hiking style do you wish
to optimize.  If you plan long milage days, and what to maximize hiking
comfort (i.e., minimize weight), and/or have frequent resupply, then you
probably want a smaller capacity and lighter weight pack.  If you plan
shorter milage days, want to give up some hiking comfort for more
campsite comfort, and/or resupply less frequently, then you probably want
a larger capacity pack.

4.  The best approach might  be to make a tentative list of virtually all
the clothes, gear, and food weight that you are likely to carry at a
maximum, then go to REI, or EMS, or some other reputable outdoor supply
store, and borrow stuff from within the store that approximates your
anticipated load (in bulk and weight), and see how it fits into several
different size/style packs.  Then you'll have direct experience of what
size pack YOU are likely to need.

5.  My guess is that the more money one has available, and the less
experience one has, the more likely one is to buy a higher capacity pack
than is optimum.

6.  Also consider the general rule of thumb that most people should
generally not plan on carrying more than 25% of their body weight.  How
much weight do you plan to carry? You probably won't  want to buy a
bigger pack than is necessary to carry that weight.

7.  One big advantage to buying a pack from a firm with great customer
service, like LL Bean, REI, or EMS, is that if, after buying the pack,
and then finalizing your gear selection, you find the pack is the wrong
size for your needs, you can return it for a full refund.  You might not
be able to do that if you simply go for the lowest price at some less
customer-service-oriented firm.  Also, REI. EMS, and some other
outfitters have high quality packs for rent, so that might also be worth
considering-- namely rent a pack of some particular capacity, pack all
your gear into it, and take it out for a test trip.

8.  And finally remember the pack must meet your needs, not those of
anyone else (and vice versa), so just because someone else thinks a pack
of a certain style, size, et. is best for them, does not make it best for
you.

 Let us know what you decide on, and how well it meets your
needs/expectations down the road.

Happy packing!
---terry---