Re: [at-l] Pack size in cubic inches

>  I realize that this is probably a personal preference only, but I'd like to
>  get an idea of what is the average cubic inches of packs carried by thru
>  hikers, for internal and external.  I have seen widely varying statements
>  about what is ideal or normal - from 2000 cu to 6000 cu  - so I am a little
>  confused on this.

I used both an internal and external backpack's on a thru-hike. In both my
sleeping bag was inside, both were in the 5000-6000 cubic-inch range.

With an external pack a pack in the 3000-3500 cubic-inch range will do. With
the sleeping bag on the outside.

With an internal pack a pack in the 4000-5000 cubic-inch range will do.
Sleeping bag will be inside.

This will depend on the bulkiness of your gear and the amount of food you plan
to carry.

Wildbill