Re: [at-l] Maps

SaraSW@aol.com wrote:

> Hey All--I've got a map question for ya. I'm planning a trip and want to
> get larger scale maps of the area than come with the ATC guidebook. The
> guidebook says get TVA or USGS seven and a half minute quadrangles. Does
> it make any difference? Are one agency's maps better than the other's?
>
> Also, for the stretch of trail I'm looking at, the guidebook recommended
> either one USGS quadrangle or three TVA quadrangles. That doesn't make
> sense to me unless the quadrangles meet where the trail goes. Otherwise I
> can't visualize why it would take three TVA maps to provide the same info
> as one USGS since they're all 7.5 minute quadrangles.
>
> But hey, I ain't no cartographer!
> Sally

Sally -
The quadrangles ALWAYS "meet where the trail goes". (:-) The TVA maps
are probably on different boundaries than the USGS maps. I'd go for the
USGS map - it's probably lighter, cheaper, definitely topographic - and
I know the quality. On top of that, the probability is that the TVA maps
are based on the USGS maps.  On the other hand, it might be nice to
experiment - if you've got the time and money, get them all - and then
you can tell us what they're like.

Walk softly,
Jim