Re: [at-l] Maps

>  Hey All--I've got a map question for ya. I'm planning a trip and want to
>  get larger scale maps of the area than come with the ATC guidebook. The
>  guidebook says get TVA or USGS seven and a half minute quadrangles. Does
>  it make any difference? Are one agency's maps better than the other's?

>  Also, for the stretch of trail I'm looking at, the guidebook recommended
>  either one USGS quadrangle or three TVA quadrangles. That doesn't make
>  sense to me unless the quadrangles meet where the trail goes. Otherwise I
>  can't visualize why it would take three TVA maps to provide the same info
>  as one USGS since they're all 7.5 minute quadrangles.

Sally,
No one is not better then the other. USGS maps, covering TVA area's are using
data from TVA. I have used both.
Check at a library they may have them on file.

1. The USGS map may be a 15" map or
2. The area that the USGS covers, may show the whold section of trail on the
map.
 The TVA map coverage may only show parts of the trail section, on each of the
maps.

Thats the best I can do, without knowing the section you are hiking.

Here are links to USAG and TVA map info.
 <A HREF="http://mapping.usgs.gov/www/gnis/gnisform.html">USGS Mapping
Information: GNIS Data Base Quer...</A>
<A HREF="http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/webglis/">USGS National Mapping
Information: Home Page</A>  <A HREF="http://www.tva.com/orgs/gie/mspage2.htm">