[at-l] Maps

Hey All--I've got a map question for ya. I'm planning a trip and want to
get larger scale maps of the area than come with the ATC guidebook. The
guidebook says get TVA or USGS seven and a half minute quadrangles. Does
it make any difference? Are one agency's maps better than the other's?

Also, for the stretch of trail I'm looking at, the guidebook recommended
either one USGS quadrangle or three TVA quadrangles. That doesn't make
sense to me unless the quadrangles meet where the trail goes. Otherwise I
can't visualize why it would take three TVA maps to provide the same info
as one USGS since they're all 7.5 minute quadrangles.

But hey, I ain't no cartographer!
Sally