Re: [at-l] Mayo

I remember when studying in Europe, they used to sell mayonaise and mustard in
toothpaste-type tubes.  It was great for hiking or just bringing sandwiches to
work since you could avoid having condiments soak into the bread.  They'd be
good at room temp for a longer time, since the tube sealed out the air...my
homestay family wouldn't think about fridging them at all.  Furthermore they
were metal, so presumably recyclable, at a minimum biodegradeable.  Now I
don't know if they still sell these.  I don't recall seeing them when I worked
in London eight years ago, but maybe that was because I was so busy, I always
got takeout at the office.

I don't know if we can encourage the revival of this kind of packaging for
U.S. consumption (literally), but it does seem more ecological than little
packets or plastic containers.  Still, I detest how condiments go bad on a bag
lunch.  I also can't stand pilfering packets from resturants.  It reminds me
of stealing office supplies and I know most of the mom & pop stores that carry
them have a tough time earning a liveable margin off their enterprises.  So, I
try to pick condiment-free meals for hikes and leave a jar of mayo at work.

Mary