Re: [at-l] Mayo

In a message dated 1/14/98 1:02:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, jdsawyer@bu.edu
writes:

<< AHHHHHHHH.  The tree hugger in me is having a stroke!!!!!!

 I hate to be the bad guy here, but do you have any idea how long one of
 those little plastic ketchup thingys stays in a landfill?  And how many (not
 to mention the other 7 condiments...)  in a 5 day backpacking trip do you
 use?  Please, please, please think twice about not using those little
 packets! >>

Please accept this post from a fellow tree hugger as a general,  philsophical,
educational comment meant to suggest ways to improve our habits rather than
impugn anyone's current choices.  (In other words,  this is not a flame,  just
a plea.)

There is nothing wrong with concern over plastic mayo packages and their
effect on the landfills and I'm sure many,  including me,  share this concern.
BUT,  are we also as critical of the other choices we make every day that have
far more detrimental effects?  Just a few examples:

How many of us...
Drive vehicles with engines larger than 4 cylinders?
Buy midgrade or premium gas?
Buy things because we can afford them rather than need them?
Perpetuate the "Keep up with the Jones'es" mentality?
Live in large houses beyond basic needs?
Prepare large meals and throw the leftovers away?
Think about the population problem when planning the size of our own families?

In short,  I think we need to address some more substantive problems
threatening the global environment before losing any sleep over using a few
ketchup or mayo packets on a backpacking outing.  Further,  by backpacking,
you are unplugged from the consumptive items I mention above and therefore
much more environmentally friendly no matter how many plastic packets wind up
in your garbage bag.

One of the reasons we treehuggers get ridiculed in the conservative press is
that some of our notions are overly simplistic.  Such is the case with concern
over mayo packets.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear