Re: [at-l] I'm no chemist but...

> A few days ago, I cut up a lemon and put it in my smelly bottle to
> make the water taste better.  And, lo and behold, my bottle no
> longer tastes or smells like plastic.  Yes, the lemons are gone --
> and so is the lemon taste.
>
> So, all you chemists out there -- is THIS really a cure for the
> smelly Naglene bottle mystery?  Or just a coincidence?

I'm not a chemist either... but I can tell you it wasn't a
coincidence. Lemon water will take most any flavor out of plastic...
just don't make the lemon water too strong, or leave it in too long.
If you do then the plastic will taste like bad lemons.

On short trips I like to take a lemon along to cut up and put in my
water. Lemon's are natural diuretic though so if you're retaining
water it is good, but if you're trying to hold onto all of the water
you can then this isn't a good idea.

I've also been known to take enough dried Nettles or Peppermint
along to make tea with. You can make a very strong tea and then add
a little of that to your water all day long. Nettles are a natural
antihistamine... so Nettle tea is really good to drink when the
pollen count is high. Also, using Nettles or Peppermint or any other
kind of green herb seems to help with your energy level. I have a
friend who tells me it's because you are drinking chlorophyll, and
the chlorophyll puts more oxygen into your bloodstream.

Anyway, back to the lemons... Sometimes my plastic tends to get a
peppermint taste to it, from drinking peppermint tea for days on
end... the lemon will get rid of the peppermint taste, too.

Contraire
     (waterfall junkie)