[at-l] Springer in February?

Hello All!

I just joined this list and thought I would introduce myself.  I am a
soon-to-be finished master's student at the State University of New York
College of Environmental Science and Forestry.  A friend and I are
thinking of celebrating our graduation (and putting off so-called 'real
life') by attempting a thru-hike early next year.  My friend is planning
to begin work on his PhD in late August 1998 so to do it in that year, we
would need a pretty early start.  I have heard that it is inadvisable to
begin from Springer Mt much before April 15 because of unpredictable
weather.  What sort of weather is it?  We live in the northeast and have a
lot of experience with cold temperatures and snowy conditions, from both
hiking and winter field research in New England.  Are the conditions in
late winter in the southern mountains dangerous or just unpleasant?  We
would have to begin sometime in February if we need to finish by
mid-to-late August, wouldn't we?  If anyone has advice or experience to
share, we would really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Kendall Watkins
SUNY - Environmental Science and Forestry

He was shortish.  And oldish.  And brownish.  And mossy.  And he spoke
with a voice that was sharpish and bossy.  'Mister!' he said with a
sawdusty sneeze, 'I am the Lorax.  I speak for the trees.  I speak for the
trees for the trees have no tongues.'

Dr. Seuss, 1971