Re: [at-l] Springer in February?

In a message dated 97-07-09 10:30:39 EDT, kmwatkin@mailbox.syr.edu (Kendall
M. Watkins) writes:

<<  I have heard that it is inadvisable to
 begin from Springer Mt much before April 15 because of unpredictable
 weather.  What sort of weather is it?  >>

I left home (Northern VA) on Feb. 28th this year and started from Springer on
March 2nd.  The weather was absolutely perfect!  Warm & sunny for most of
March, with cool (not cold) evenings.  I had only a couple of days of rain in
March.  April was another story, however - rained more often and cooler days.
 But I understand that last year was a very cold year and this was mild in
comparison, so who knows what next year will bring.  I was glad I left early,
and I heard from a number of hikers that they left in late March to avoid the
bad weather but got it anyway.  Those who live in the Northern part of
Georgia can probably provide more definite info.  Good luck.

Gypsy