[at-l] 4th o' july

Howdy!

Just wanted to give the scoop on the 4th of July cookout Kevin
(Snail-no-More) and I gave to some thru-hikers at Pen-Mar County Park.

Not knowing how many thru-hikers to expect, I went to the price club and
bought 24 burgers, 50 hotdogs, buns of various sizes, a huge pail of
cole slaw and a case of coke and a case of pepsi. Kevin showed up with
some veggie burgers, watermelon, fresh corn picked that morning, fresh
tomatoes and lettuce, and grandma's cookies (that everyone LOVED). :d

We met about 15 or so thru-hikers, about 4 of them were southbound. One
southbounder, Merlin, started in New York. Two others (Yogi & ??)
started in PA. The rest were northbounders: Hattrick, Free to Go,
Sourwood, Eastwood, Harmony (who left May 13!) and Rhapsody, Blind
Faith, Amazing Grace, Capetown Jenny, Brooster (whom I hiked with for a
bit into Damascus) and probably about 2 or 3 others whose names I didn't
catch or forgot already. :/

Eveyone was really happy to see us and some of them practically ran down
the trail when they heard from the southbounders that there was food up
ahead. :)  They were all thinking of their own cookouts with their
family then *bam* there Kevin and I were with a veritable feast! :)  And
when they heard about the whole trail angel controversy, they all
thought that we were great, this made their day, and that trail angels
should be around. Some of them hadn't seen anything like this on the
trail at all - so I guess the trail isn't just one big buffet. :)

Free to Go said that he had gotten off the trail for 6 weeks because he
had Hanta Virus and almost died. Yikes!

We also met the ridgerunner for the MD section of the AT, Thornton
Griggs. He is in his 80s, hiking 4-5 days a week, doing 8-12 miles a
day. He's really cool. There's an article on him in (I think) the
Mountain Club of Maryland's newsletter.

Trail Days Attendees: I was really glad to met everyone and it was
really cool to see Brooster again - he told me he almost got off the
trail. I'm glad he didn't. :)  I also heard that Bones (who hiked with
Kaddidle) is off the trail, and so are Aunt Mabel and Sandy Longlegs. We
unfortunately missed Kaddidle (our AT-L honorary member), who was about
2 or 3 days behind. (there's a picture of Kaddidle on Gweneeth's Trail
Days picture webpage in case you've forgotten)

--
Diana (^raven^) * http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven * Silver Spring, MD
raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu * Appalachian Trail '98 - Georgia ----> Maine