Re: [at-l] re: hike in NY, Ct, Mass

>do you remember your very first time on the AT, where you first
>saw a white blaze?  mine was  where the blue blaze from salisbury meets the
>AT going up to lion's head.
>
>mike
>ke kaahawe

My first experience was in White Mountains with a high school buddy.  He
taught me about hiking and camping by bringing me up the Dry River trail to
Mount Washington.  The AT connects with this trail from Crawford Notch.  He
told me the AT started in GA.  That is when I decided I would hike the whole
length.  Can you believe it was in 1958.   Did not see many other people
Backpacking then.  You could hike even in the Whites for days without passing
another hiker.  Shelters were true wilderness experiences.   I have to waite
5 more long years to do my hike.  Sure hope my health holds.  I'm in training
now.  My students keep me hiking bigger miles and longer days.  They are
making me stay young.

       Art