[at-l] Aptitude

The Professor wrote:

>Surely you jest.

In part, but not entirely.

>On the contrary, if you have an equipment failure, the only thing
>thing that does help you is your aptitude and ability to improvise,
>most especially in the Smokys or the Wilderness. (Q.E.D)

That depends a whole lot on what breaks - and how.  One way to
prevent or at least reduce the problem is to use equipment that's
reliable.  If I buy a piece of equipment and it falls apart the first
time I use it, the only place that puppys going is back to the
manufacturer.  I won't trust my life or Ginny's to something
that's poorly made in the first place.  And that's not because
I lack aptitude - I'm an engineer and a  qualified mechanic on
anything from a pocket knife to a spacecraft.

>Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong,
>  and at the worst possible moment.

Ahhh - a believer in Mr Murphy's principles.  I'm more of a believer
in O'Toole's Law which states that Murphy was an optimist.

Walk softly,
Jim