[at-l] Aptitude

> >Jim Owen wrote :
> So ---- you carry a hammer and loctite on a thruhike, huh??
> What else is in that tool box?  (VBG)
> Aptitude doesn't help if it breaks in the Smokies or the
> Wilderness.

This is an easy one. let's see...

Surely you jest. Like most, I shake-down all new equipment at home
before taking it on the trail. In my thru-hike "toolbox" I took
simple ingenuity, needle & thread, and 10 feet of duct tape.

On the contrary, if you have an equipment failure, the only thing
thing that does help you is your aptitude and ability to improvise,
most especially in the Smokys or the Wilderness. (Q.E.D)

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong,
  and at the worst possible moment.
              -or-
Necessity is the mother of invention.

>close to and too excited about our thru-hike to allow a
>personal attack to bother us.

I will apologize now to the Smiths. I do sincerly wish you well.
I just wanted to let others know that there are alternatives
available that are less expensive. They may or may not not be
quite as good or reliable, but with simple maintenance & attention
to detail they can be made serviceable and reliable for a thru-hike.

The Professor
 GA > ME 95'
http://www.early.com/~crow/