[at-l] resupply

I understand about not wanting to bother other people with mailing your
resupply boxes.  It is a big responsibility.  What I did the second time I
hiked the trail may work for you.

The post offices along the trail will hold packages for about one month.  So
I sent all my resupply boxes for the first six weeks or so before I left on
the trail.  The far south is where resupply from stores is hardest because
the towns are so small.  From Cloverdale, VA on there are good stores most
of the way up the trail.  You can get what you need.  If Wingfoot says a
town is good for long term resupply, he is usually right.  Then in the towns
that have really good stores (Safeway or IGY) you can make up packages for
the towns that you know don't have much (i.e. Glencliff NH, Monson). I made
up two or three mail boxes in Pearisburg and in Hanover to fill in the gaps.
 Mike had a good list of the towns that don't have much, though I disagree
about Delaware Water Gap - Stroudsburg is not far away and the outdoor shop
used to run a shuttle over there.  Stroudsburg is not a pretty town, but it
has a laundromat next to the grocery and some good bookstores, so is a nice
place to spend an afternoon.  Del Water Gap is worth a day or two anyway -
the cafe is great (with a bakery and fruit store next door) and by that time
your feet or so sore from long miles over the PA rocks, that you won't be in
a hurry to leave.  Besides the townspeople are really nice.

Then all you really need to do is ask one friend or family member to act as
emergency supplier for things like spare boots and winter gear (after you
send it home in Virginia you'll want it back for the Whites).  Less of a
burden than sending out 25 boxes.

Resupplying along the way has its hazards (i.e. how much Kraft mac'n'cheese
can you eat?) but it is doable.

Ginny