[at-l] Re: at-l Pack Covers

Doug asked

> Has anyone used a poncho that is designed to fit over you &
> your pack?

I have used such a poncho for years, with good results.  I even think
I got it at Campmor.  They can do a decent job of keeping you and the
pack dry.

A slight problem with a poncho that goes over the pack is that it can
be awkward to put on.  You have to have the pack on first and it can
take a few tries to toss the poncho over the pack.

Another thing to remember is that you might not want to put a poncho
over yourself if there is a light rain or if the trees are wet from a
previous rain.  But in these cases, your pack can get quite wet.

 I think that ponchos work as well as rainsuits as long as you are
below tree-line.  Once you get exposed above tree-line, the wind will
blow your poncho around so much that you can get very wet.

Bob