[at-l] Re: Steve's Tent Choice

At 12:17 PM 1/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
  However, my wife doesn't like mesh-walled tents (too cold).  She
>prefers solid-wall tents.

Steve,

Have you looked at the Sierra Designs Meteor Light CD (a bit over 5 lbs. I
believe.) My wife and I carried it on our hike in '95.  It had some large
mesh panels in it, but wasn't total mesh. Believe me, if it gets as hot as
'95 was, you will definitely want a tent with some mesh in it or you will
die!  The Meteor Light also had a decent sized vestibule, which I believe is
even bigger now. (Just checking the new Backpacker Buyers Guide for '97, I
see the weight of the tent is up to 6 lbs. 3 ozs and has a vestibule area of
14 sq.feet) That may me more weight than you're willing to carry, but I know
that it slept us comfortably, although yes you do come close to the walls a
bit. And yes, if it was raining really hard, we were able to get both packs
in the tent as well. (I'm 5'9", my wife is 5'1")  Square footage is 43
sq.ft, headroom 46", freestanding.  Price quoted in Backpacker is $269 - I
think we got ours for around $200. (The Arch Rival would be 1 lb. 11 oz.
lighter, but has only 32 sq.feet, with 38" head room, and a 5 sq.ft.
vestibule and isn't freestanding)

The Lunarlite has only 28.3 sq. feet of space which sounds small to me. Also
only has a 6.2 sq.ft vestibule. Headroom is 43"

Aren't all these decisions fun?

Looking thru the magazine, I don't find a whole lot of choices that give you
both the space, vestibule space and relative light weight that the Meteor
Light does. BTW, you do have to seam seal this tent.

Just thought you might want to check it out.

Mark
	Mark and Janet Holmes
	http://members.tripod.com/~Mark_Holmes/index.html
	Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
	Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
	Provider of shuttles in SW VA
	Phone: 540-677-3313