[at-l] Blackflies in Maine

Hello everyone,

I was writing to see if anyone has a feel for the blackflies/mosquitos in
Maine.  Specifically, I was wondering how early can one go out and be
able to stand the bugs.  I hiked a big portion of the AT southbound in
1993 and started in Maine in mid-August.  The bugs weren't bad at all
then.  I was just wondering if it might be possible to start any
earlier.  Obviously, "bad" is a relative term but any information would
be helpful.  Thanks,

Jason