Re: [at-l] Hiking fog-blind

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

writes:

> << Yesterday's outing was great..cheap gear worked great!  Temp 11 to 15.
>  One problem.  I had to choose to either expose my nose or fog my
>  sunglasses.  The turtle fur balaclava is a toasty thing but it channeled
>  my breath vapor up to my glasses and they fogged.  The sun came on
>  strong by 11:00 and I had to use the sun glasses against the snow glare.
>  So....I could keep my nose warm and hike blind or see well and freeze my
>  nose.    Any suggestions?              Kahley >>
>
> This is a problem for anyone, like me, who wears glasses.  You don't even
need
> the balaclava to fog up.  When my body is warmer than the air, my glasses
fog
> up every time.  Can't see a darn thing without them, and am unable to
wear
> contacts.  I hate it but what's a person do to?
>
> Alice
> Illinois Flatlander

Hike blind.  Use the force, Luke.  Seriously, I've used a tiny bit of
liquid soap, and rub my glasses with bandana until the lenses are clear
enough to see and there is no visible soap left on them.  This works until
you sweat, and I sweat.  Once the water and the soap mix, the lenses get
blurry and colorful, tiggering a flashback from some bad paper I ate in the
early 80's . . . . another unforseen trail hazard ;-)  So now, when
conditions are ripe for my glasses to fog, I hike blind, and use my night
hiking skills to get me down the trail in one.  If you don't sweat much,
then try the soap trick.  I'll never know for sure if I saw a bear cub
outside of Wesser, because I was hiking blind.  Oh well, them's the breaks
when you're nearsighted.

		have fun,

		Kurt
		kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com

There were days,
there were days,
there were days, I know.
When all we ever wanted,
was to learn and love and grow.
When we grew into our shoes,
we told them where to go.
Walked halfway around the world,
on promise of the glow
Stood upon a mountain top.
Walked barefoot in the snow.
Gave all we had to give,
how much we'll never know, . . . . never know.

                                 Robert Hunter