Fwd: [at-l] two questions

He accidentally only sent it to me...
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	gt0556d@prism.gatech.edu (Will Strickland)
To:	Viper7997@aol.com
Date: 97-01-21 20:41:51 EST

> << So I
>  was wondering what exercizes would be good to strengthen my knees
>  before hiking the AT so that nothing goes wrong with them. >>
>
> If you have access to a weight machine, do the one where you sit and
stretch
> out your legs with weights on top

Leg Extension Machine

>and the one where you have to curl your
> legs, with the weights below your legs.

Leg Curl Machine

>I can't think of what the machines
> are called, sorry I can't be more descriptive!!  I've got this pamphlet
> thingy the PT (and my orthopod) gave me as I was rehabbing my knee to do at

I use the same machines in my training, and yes, they will (the extension
anyway) strengthen the knee stability. The curls are mainly for balance of
the muscles (between the quad and the leg-bi) which helps reduce the
possiblity of hamstring tears/pulls. The extensions work your quadricep
muscle, the muscle on the front of your thigh between the hip and the
knee. The direction you point your feet (inward or outward) on this
machine will determine which part of your quad will get worked the
hardest, (the quadricep is a four-part muscle group arranged in a diamond
type shape) pointing your toes inward will work the inner section (closest
to your knee) hardest, while pointing them out will work the outer the
hardest. To work on the upper sections (inner thigh area and central
just below hip area) you'll need to use some excercies where you lift your
knee upward or laterally rather than extending your leg at the knee,
basically your excercise for these use the hip as the primary bending
joint and the excercises for the lower part of the muscle group use the
knee as the primary bendgin joint.

I personally do leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises, lunges, deadlifts,
and leg presses and then when I cycle to an endurance phase I'll hit the
stairmaster every other day for 40 minutes as hard as I can. (It you can't
drive yourself to exhaustion on the stairmaster without quitting, or if
you can still walk afterwards you aren't training hard enough! Keep this
in perspective though, most training injuries occur once the athlete is
tired and not keeping good form) Once I finish a leg workout or a session
on the stairmaster I usually have a hard time climbing the one flight of
stairs to get out of the gym I use, I kid you not.

Two things to note, 1. when I started on the stairmaster I could only do
20 minutes on level 2(of 10) and the last time I went through an
endurance phase and was training on it I was doing 40 minutes on level 5
or 30 on 7 or 20 on 9. I fully expect to reach 40 minutes at level 9 or 10
by the time I leave for ME
2. When I train, I train to exhaustion, no less, no wimping out. I
honestly believe maintaining this kind of push in my workouts will help me
tackle my thru-hike mentally.

Sorry for the ramble folks, but maybe you can pick some value out of it .

Will Strickland -ANTELOPE- ME->GA '97
"May the four winds blow you safely home..."
  -- Grateful Dead--
Internet: gt0556d@prism.gatech.edu