[at-l] car/day hikes

Has anyone ever done a thru or long-distance hike on the AT with a partner,
two cars and leap-frogging??  You know, leave a car at the end of a section
(as far as you think you can get without resupply), a car at the beginning,
then when you get to the "end car", drive back, pick up the "beginning car",
drive to the next "endpoint", leave a car then drive back to where you
left off (after resupplying, doing laundry, picking up mail, or whatever
else you need to do "in town").  I know this sounds convoluted, but is this
just too impractical, or too wimpy, for folks to consider?  At least you
would never have to hitch (barring unforseen circumstances), could have
a second set of clothes in the car, or whatever.

Just wondering what everybody thought.  I know there are all the psooibilities
that would ruin the plan, hiking partner getting hurt or quitting, car getting
stolen, vandalized, etc.  Just wondering.....

Just an additional 2 cents on pack covers... I love mine.  More for the
protection from wear and tear on the pack than from rain, although that's
nice too.  I have the lowe cover that fits my Lowe Sirocco pack.  I used to
use the camp trails universal size, but it was too big and I always had
a quart of water in the bottom of it (usually running down my legs and into
my boots).

Go Pack!  That's Green Bay, not Lowe :)

Sharon
ssharpe@wellesley.edu