[at-l] Theft prevention on AT

How do you secure money on the AT so it won't get stolen?

Will local stores take travelers checks?  Credit cards?

How much actual cash do you need at any particular time?

I plan on a 30-day outing in 1997, starting in GA.  How much money do I need
to bring for food, laundry, maybe one overnite in a hotel?

How careful do I have to be with me gear in shelters?  In town?  Can I let it
out of my sight?