Re: [at-l] car/day hikes

Sharon (ssharpe@wellesley.edu) wrote:

> Has anyone ever done a thru or long-distance hike on the AT with a partner,
> two cars and leap-frogging??  You know, leave a car at the end of a section
> (as far as you think you can get without resupply), a car at the beginning,
> then when you get to the "end car", drive back, pick up the "beginning car",
> drive to the next "endpoint", leave a car then drive back to where you
> left off (after resupplying, doing laundry, picking up mail, or whatever
> else you need to do "in town").  I know this sounds convoluted, but is this
> just too impractical, or too wimpy, for folks to consider?  At least you
> would never have to hitch (barring unforseen circumstances), could have
> a second set of clothes in the car, or whatever.
>
> Just wondering what everybody thought.  I know there are all the psooibilities
> that would ruin the plan, hiking partner getting hurt or quitting, car getting
> stolen, vandalized, etc.  Just wondering.....

Having done a bunch of 'car/day hikes', I have some advice.  Don't concern yourself with what can 'ruin the plan' (sh-t happens).   There are many people that do as you wish to do (leap-frogging), and there are many people to assist if things don't go quite as planned.  I transported a group of three youngins' from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap after one of them developed severe blisters on his heals.  They were out for 4 days, had a car at each end, and were somewhere in-between.  They had the guts to ask everyone they saw for assistance.  I was able to help, and did gladly.

Rick Mann, aka 'Pittsburgh'
rmann@eng.appl.ge.com