Re: [at-l] Considering a thru-hike, many questions.

I am planning to begin a thru hike this year.  Actually, I can't do more than
about a month a year and stay married, so I am beginning with a month this
year, and will finish in 5 or 6 years from now.

Planning is pretty much the same for you and me.

I have read two books that I think are pretty useful.

The Appalachian Trail Backpackers Planning Guide by Victoria and Frank Logue,
Menasha Ridge Press, 1990.  This one deals a lot with equipment.

The Appalachian Trail, A Journey Of Discovery by Jan D. Curran, Rainbow Books
Inc, 1991.  This is a description of one man's hike.

I contacted the AT Council, http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html.  I have
purchased their maps and guide books.  These are very detailled and describe
the location of all shelters, water, stores, public accommodation, etc.