Re: [at-l] Considering a thru-hike, many questions.

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 MarvWelte@aol.com wrote:

> I am planning to begin a thru hike this year.  Actually, I can't do more than
> about a month a year and stay married, so I am beginning with a month this
> year, and will finish in 5 or 6 years from now.

Good luck with your plans, Marc!  And thanks for providing your page with
the info about the various hiking areas - in KY, OH and WV if I recall
correctly.

> I contacted the AT Council, http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html.  I have
> purchased their maps and guide books.  These are very detailled and describe
> the location of all shelters, water, stores, public accommodation, etc.

Just to clarify... that's not an A.T. Conference page, though it has info
about the ATC as well as a list of many of the books they sell.  (The ATC
will soon be having its own page. I believe that folks will be able to buy
books and the other items they sell online via the page, as one can do
more and more these days.  As soon as I hear that it's up, I'll post the
URL if I haven't seen that it's already been posted by someone else.)

Added note: Just happened upon a relatively new page - though it appears
to have been up at least since October - that may be of interest - a page
with info about various National Parks, including Shenandoah and the
GSMNP.  URL:  http://www.americanparksnetwork.com  (It's what I call a
"Captive" site - in that it doesn't have any links to anything other than
its own pages - thereby keeping you a captive at its site for as long as
possible. :-)  If anyone has heard the proper term for this kind of
site, I'd be interested in knowing what it is.  I suppose it's
maybe an "Intranet" but my impression of an Intranet is that it's an
in-house thing - rather than a site on the Net.)

--Kathy Bilton
http://www.fred.net/kathy/