Re: [at-l] Vasque

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

> Date: Friday, 17-Jan-97 01:16 PM
>
> From: Phil Romans              \ Internet:    (promans@justice.loyola.edu)
> To:   at-l-request             \ Internet:    (at-l@saffron.hack.net)
>
> Subject: [at-l] Vasque
>
> Over the past 5 years or so that I have been doing serious gear
comparsions, I
> have been noticing a change in Vasque returns.  It use to be that you
could
> call up Vasque, say that your boots were screwed (usually because  the
glue
> came off the sole) and they would tell you to take them to a  local
dealer or
> mail them in and get a new pair.  No problems.
>         Appreantly now, they are no longer doing this program.  Quiet a
few
> people I know that own those boots are getting ticked because it was  the
main
> reason they bought the boots.  Vasque is well known for the  cheap glue
they
> used on thier boots...
>
> anyone know the offical word?
>
> -=phil (I own Rachlies but have to go through REI, go figure)
>
> --
> ._____________________________________________________________________.
> |promans@sloth.loyola.edu |  www.cs.loyola.edu/~promans      Philmont |
> | GA --> ME    AT'er      |    U2-TMBG-DMB-Rush-Floyd         Staff   |
> |   1997   for the 60th   |  <Loyola College, Baltimore>   92,94,95,96|
> \-=-=-=-=-The mountains are calling and I must go. (John Muir)-=-=-=-=/

The toes of my Vasque Super Hiker II's wore out two days after I left Hot
Springs, 4/23/96.  I wasn't able to call Vasque until I got to Erwin on
4/29/96.  (Erwin's a great town, I stayed there 4 days, twisted my knee
dancin', broke my toe canoein', and would do it all again.)  So I call up
Vasque's customer service line, and I tried to explain, in detail, that my
boots were falling apart, and then the interrogation began.  By the end of
the phone call, I was pissed.  I was given two choices.  One, goes hundreds
of miles off the trail to a Vasque approved dealer, or two, hike barefoot
until Damascus, (where my backup boots were already sent), and send Vasque
my F**cked up boots so that they could see for themselves how much credit
that they would give me towards buying a new set of boots.  I suggested a
different option, that I would hike to my back-up boots, and then send the
sh*tty ones to Vasque.  Damascus was the end of my 96 attempt to thru hike,
but I was still pissed by the treatment I received from Vasque's customer
service representive, so I prepared my assault.  I called up Redwing (the
company the owns Vasque), and pretended to be a college student doing a
paper on outdoor gear, and got the phone number and mailing address for
Redwing's Vasque division manager.  I wrote him about how terrible that I
felt I was treated.  It was a two page letter, which I made a copy of, and
sent the copy of the letter with my boots to Vasque's customer service
center in Utah.  That was on 5/13 or 5/14/96.  I arrived back in NJ on
5/21/96, only to find a brand new pair of boots waiting for me at my mom's.
They arrived the day before.

Don't let some customer service person give you a run around.  If you don't
like their answers, go over their heads.  I should have done it the first
time I call Vasque, instead of waiting til Damascus.  Live, and learn.

As a side note, Gregory replaced half of the hardware on my pack at Trail
Days, some companies still do a great job standing behind their products.

		have fun,

		Kurt
		kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com

There were days,
there were days,
there were days, I know.
When all we ever wanted,
was to learn and love and grow.
When we grew into our shoes,
we told them where to go.
Walked halfway around the world,
on promise of the glow
Stood upon a mountain top.
Walked barefoot in the snow.
Gave all we had to give,
how much we'll never know, . . . . never know.

                                 Robert Hunter